Welcome To Our Kitchen

I say our kitchen because the recipes, stories and ideas here belong to many, not just me. All my life, it seems that my family has always congregated in the kitchen. Good smells, good food, good company. It seems they are all found in the kitchen.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Will The Real Gingerbread Please Stand Up

I went to a holiday gathering recently and one of the desserts was Gingerbread with whipped cream. I love gingerbread and was somewhat dismayed when I bit into it and found it rather bland. A little subtle detective work found the gingerbread came from a box. So to spare you all from cardboard-tasting gingerbread, I'm sharing my best recipe. Not sure where it originally came from, but I've been making it for 30 years.

Gingerbread
1 cup boiling water
1 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
4 large eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. allspice

Pour the boiling water over the margarine, sugar and molasses. Stir until the margarine is melted. Cool slightly. Add eggs and beat well. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour into a buttered 9"x13" pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until done. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment